Saturday 3 August 2013

Illustration Inspiration

I'm currently in the process of writing up a plethora of posts but thought I would quickly share some of my current inspirations from the world of illustration.

Illustration falls under the words of Individual, Inspiring and Innovative. No I haven't gone alliteration crazy (!), but these are all things I always research and incorporate when I'm designing and gaining inspiration from others. The illustrators below are all designers I've been hugely inspired by over the last couple of years and it's been exciting for me to learn from their work, yet at the same time watch how they have been able to develop their individual styles to a wider audience through the means of various media.

Once again I've been on trusty Photoshop and have collated some of my favourite designs from each illustrator below. When putting the images together it was so nice to see how quickly you can identify their style and interests. Enjoy!



A German native, Sabine Pieper's illustrations are marked by strong expression, unique compositions and colour. Through the strength of her past photography career, she has been able to use this to her advantage by using soft photographic techniques within her drawings. The creation of subtle, yet energetic lines is synonymous within her portrayal of femininity and beauty. Sabine has seen her predominant fashion and beauty illustrations featured in various publications such as Vlisco and Elle UK. 





Inspired by the freedom and confidence of illustrators such as Julie Verhoeven and providing much comparison to Sabine Pieper's work, Sarah Hankinson's designs are defined by feminine subjects and bursts of watercolour. Sarah has been one of my favourite illustrators for a while now, her designs are so simple yet in a sense quite flirty and energetic with the colourings and lines she develops. She has also seen her work published for Harpers Bazaar and Maybelline, amongst others.





Out of the illustrators featured in this post, Kelly Smith aka Birdy & Me is probably the one who has achieved the most commercial experience, exposure and success within fashion illustration. Working with Vogue, H&M and net-a-porter just to name a few has already provided her with the room to develop even higher. Kelly's definitive pencil lines and toning make her work unique in capturing every detail of her subject.






I've been following Stina Persson's work for around 3 years now and she is always one illustrator I look to when creating mixed media pieces. Her exploration of cut paper, watercolour, ink and photographic manipulation shows a utilisation of incorporating any medium into a drawing. I've always been worried when using the watercolour "dripping" technique that it will ruin what I've already done but Stina has taught me that you can do this technique and still make a piece work effectively. 




No comments:

Post a Comment